Dusband 101


Why Dusband?

As I was brainstorming and thinking of possible blog topics, I was drawn time and time again to my role as a husband and dad. Almost everything I attempt to do relates back to that role. My primary importance is to my God, but next are my wife and children. Besides, every single one of us is impacted by a dad in some way or form.

We All Stem From a Dad

Whether we have been adopted, are children of same-sex parents, come from a polygamous household, or have never known our dad -- we all stem from a father. We all are innately connected to a dad whether we like that fact or not. We are connected through our DNA, looks, personality, or whatever you might call it, but we are connected. A connection I believe that stems from before.

Heavenly Dad 

I believe our link to Dad (yes, I said our) started before this life and will last into the eternities. I believe that we are spirit children of a wonderful dad and husband named Heavenly Father. I believe we inherit certain spiritual DNA, looks, personality, or whatever you might call it from Him because we are connected. I also believe the best person from whom we can learn from to be a better husband and dad is Him because He has been there and done that. He's the pilot and we're learning how to fly the plane with our own passengers (posterity) and lead them to the fruitful territory just like He's doing for us. But, that doesn't mean the training is easy, the turbulence is absent, or the obstacles are far beneath us. In fact, we crash and we burn sometimes.



Crashing and Burning

I can't tell you how many times I've crashed and burned as a husband and dad. There probably wouldn't be a book big enough to detail all the times I have messed up (and the pages keep on coming). From the times I've yelled at my kids or said something hurtful to my wife, I've crashed and burned. No, I'm not talking about just scraping the bottom of the aircraft, I'm talking about "Mayday, Mayday!!" and then watching it blow up. Yes, I may be hard on myself, but it's the truth -- I fail. Do you want to know the interesting thing about it though? I'm not the only one.

                                           Image result for crashing and burning plane

Find Joy in the Journey

We all crash and burn as husbands and fathers. We just do. Some may be better at it than others, but we all fail. My hope is that this blog can help myself and others to find joy in the journey in being a better dusband. My aim is to be as open as possible and hopefully as you see from my eyes, you can also see better from yours. In turn, we can help steer our planes to the fruitful territory while crashing and burning along the way. The key is: we get there.













Comments

Popular Posts