Like Father Like Son

Repeat After Me



Our children watch what we do. They watch more than we realize, and they seek to imitate what they see. It could be as simple as mowing the lawn or taking out the trash, but they do. They try to walk in the path we have laid before them. Humorously, kids also mimic the weird and random things we do.



Unfortunately, on the other hand, my kids also attempt to imitate when I raise my voice or get upset. In simpler terms, they imitate not only the good but the bad. I saw this just yesterday in the way my son was talking to his sister, Laikyn. JT was playing on the iPad for a few minutes and Laikyn was singing a song. Jaiden proceeded to tell her, "Laikyn, stop singing that song! Now! You are not building upon a rock." Of course, we tell him, "Jaiden, ask her nicely; that's not how we talk." But, where's he getting the angry voice and tactic to say what he says? From his mom and dad--especially dad.

A Raised Voice 

I'm not a yeller. I never have been. But, my wife has pointed out that my tone can get firmer and harsher in situations that I don't realize. I can't tell you how many times she's told me, "Voice, voice...your voice!" I then say, "What? I'm not yelling." "Yes, but your tone is different." For example, I have said to JT, "Jaiden, stop doing that! You're not listening. Jaiden, stop it!" Now, that might not seem too harmful but it is the tone and I heard that tone when JT spoke to his sister. I wonder where he got it from?


Built Upon a Rock

Anger doesn't build anything. Although it is appropriate to discipline and set expectations for your kids to abide by, there shouldn't be anger involved. The times that I allow anger to get in the way, my tone changes like my wife can attest to. Do you remember what JT told Laikyn? Not just to stop but said she wasn't building upon a rock. We recently taught our children the parable that Christ gave on the Sermon on the Mount about the wise man and the foolish man. They made the connection that when we don't listen and do what Jesus asks then we are building upon the sand rather than a rock. Although Jaiden thought he was right, he was being hypocritical because she wasn't doing anything wrong, rather he was because he was getting angry and raising his voice.

How many times have I done the same thing? How many times have I changed my tone in anger because my son or daughter wasn't listening to me? How many times have I failed to use a soft answer? How many times have I failed to build on the rock and chose the sand? It's interesting to think that there are times that I'm charging my son or daughter for building upon the sand, but I am the one building on the sand.


Sand Can Change

No matter how many times I crash and burn, my kids are forgiving. The other day I heard these choice words while being enveloped in loving arms: "I love you so much, Daddy." Just yesterday a neighborhood friend of my children was at our house and my son bragged to him, "My mom is strong but my dad is so so strong, like so strong." If only he knew the truth! 😂 Yeah, before I pat myself on the back I realize how forgiving my children are. They are full of love. I understand better why the Savior said, "Become as a little child." 

Jesus Christ willingly submitted to His Father and followed in His path until He received of a fulness. We have the obligation to do the same. The Savior has set the path. I may be building in the sand at times, but He can change that sand into rock through reliance on Him.


Comments

Popular Posts