When Should I Teach My Children?

Opportunity is Now 

Studies have been done that show a child's brain is very malleable. Gina Direnzo-Coffey, a pediatrician at Boys Town Hospital in Nebraska said that "Everything that happens in their [children] life affects their brain development." There are even studies that have claimed that the majority of brain development happens before ages 5-6.


I am not an experienced parent but what that says to me is this: Teach them while they're young.

While They're Young

We can't control how we are taught when we are young; that is mainly dependent upon our parents. I have many sweet experiences as a child learning things from my parents, I also have times that I remember that probably weren't the best. I remember those things -- always. Those things have helped aid my development from then on. They have impacted my perception, confidence, relationships, self-esteem, etc. for good or for bad.




One specific experience I had that will never leave me when I was a child is when I made a big mistake. I know, I made many of those, but this one is seared into my being because it was traumatic for me.

 My brother Paul and I had found a stack of newspapers downstairs and we got the brilliant idea to light some on fire (We failed to plan what would happen next). We placed some newspaper by the fireplace on the brick and got some matches and started the newspaper on fire. We quickly realized that the fire was going out of control and we couldn't put it out. We had the bright idea to grab one of the chairs by us to place it onto the fire to extinguish the flame. The chair was mainly plastic and metal so we thought, "Hey, this would work!" Absolutely terrible idea. Meanwhile, there is smoke all around us and the back of the chair is melting away while stinking up the house. We quickly hear loud footsteps upstairs and we know whose footsteps those belong to... yes... Dad. My dad came down yelling and basically said, "What are you guys doing?!" And probably said some other sweet words like I love you and you guys are so awesome! I just remember running off crying nonstop because I knew I had made a big mistake and I let my dad down.



We Learn Through Mistakes


We learn obedience throughout our lives. Beginning when we are very young, those responsible for our care set forth guidelines and rules to ensure our safety. Life would be simpler for all of us if we would obey such rules completely. Many of us, however, learn through experience the wisdom of being obedient. --Thomas S. Monson
 I learned from a young age what my parents expected of me, but I was disobedient at times. The beauty of the mistake comes from the learning that takes place. I never played with fire like that again from that moment on. I also remember the feelings that came to me of beating myself up for making such a mistake, I mean, how could I? Would my dad forgive me?



Those feelings are real. I'm sure my children have asked those things as well. My dad now probably hears this story and thinks "I probably shouldn't have yelled and been upset." Yeah, probably not, but he had every right to be. The thing that killed me the most was letting him down and not being what he wanted at that moment. Now in hindsight, I would have probably done the same thing if I were him and it's not cause I don't love my children but it's because I do love them. I know my dad loves me and besides worrying that the house would be burnt down, he wanted our protection because he loves us.

I know our Heavenly Dad does the same for us -- He sets the guidelines and rules to ensure our safety. Why? Because He loves us and the earlier a child can learn that truth the better. I think the only way my children can is by teaching them His guidelines and His rules with the prime motivation behind it being love.



Comments

Popular Posts